Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Galette



I'm not sure what possessed me to buy rhubarb at the farmer's market the other day.  I generally don't like it because it's too tart.  But I guess seeing new fruit at the market is exciting, since all winter it's been apples only. Rhubarb's natural pair, strawberries, would have to counterbalance it for this to work.  I also found some golden raspberries at a new grocery store a few feet from my house.  I had the right start for me to rethink my feelings for rhubarb.

I decided to make this galette for my Memorial Day weekend party.  I hadn't made a galette before and wanted to see what it was about.  The dough was super easy to make since you use a food processor.  It was cool to roll out the dough so wide and get it onto the baking sheet- major skills there.  The galette is basically pie, just with the majority of the crust around the border instead of on top.  The recipe comes from Jacques Pepin via Food and Wine magazine.

Overall, this dessert isn't my favorite, but pie isn't my thing either.  Everyone else enjoyed it though, and that's what matters. Also, I guess rhubarb isn't so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment