Saturday, June 18, 2011

Cranberry and Pistachio Biscotti

My husband and I recently returned from our vacation in Italy. I had randomly bought Bon Appetit to read on the plane, and fittingly, it was their Italy issue. Of all the recipes in the issue, I wanted to try biscotti the most. I finally made it last night.

They were like no cookie I've ever made before, both in preparation and flavor. The biscotti has no butter, but veggie oil instead. It treats sugar like a solid, keeping it with the flour rather than mixing it with oil and eggs like most recipes. Then it calls for both lemon and orange zest and also almond and vanilla extracts! The smells were amazing.

I did hate a couple things about this recipe though. Shelling a whole bag of pistachios was not so fun. Also waiting hand and foot on the cookies was annoying. 15 minutes here, 15 minutes there for an hour and a half. It was worth it though. It transported me back to Italy, just a tiny bit. I want to make other biscotti; chocolate hazelnut and another with fig for starters. Next time, I'll have to get some sweet wine for dipping, although coffee is good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment