Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hazelnut Brittle


The next chapter in the book is caramel. Caramel is not easy at all. In fact, I burnt my first batch. Again, my electric stovetop is an old piece of garbage and is way too hot. Ah, the joys of apartment living.

There I was, with my new candy thermometer, waiting for it to heat up to 350. Well, problem was that half of the pot started turning darker than the other half, because of the bad burner.

So on round two, I was extra careful not to let it get too hot and also to move it around so that one side didn't get hotter than the other. The result; the light caramel you see in the picture. Add toasted hazelnuts, let it cool on a buttered sheet of parchment paper, and boom, you have brittle. I got it to bend into this cool roll before cracking it into a bunch of pieces.

Next up: making caramel ice cream to put the brittle in!

No comments:

Post a Comment