Thursday, July 7, 2011

Caramel Ice Cream

Ice cream is a great way to enjoy the 4th! My husband and I enjoyed this caramel ice cream from TSOB while watching fireworks that were outside our window. I have to say that I couldn't really taste the caramel, mostly because of the added amaretto and lemon juice the recipe called for. Not that it wasn't good, but just that I couldn't get past those flavors.

Caramel is still really hard for me to master. In fact, take a look at my first attempt for this recipe:
I knew I had burnt the caramel, yet I still went through the whole recipe, thinking that the other flavors and cream would fix the burned caramel. Nope.

Even when I did get a good caramel color for this recipe, I waited too long bringing my milk and cream to a simmer before I could add it to the caramel, which made my caramel almost too hard to blend with the milk and cream!

I guess I'll have to keep practicing. Up next: caramel souffle. Hopefully this one turns out better than the chocolate one!

No comments:

Post a Comment